What are the benefits of unions?At the first we have to understand labor unions well. So what exactly is the labor union? A labor union sometimes also called the trade union by people, which is an organization that represents the collective interests of specific industrial workers and labors. Meanwhile, workers unite to negotiate with their boss or employers over hours, wage, related benefits and other working conditions as well. Certainly, labor unions are usually industry-specific and trend to be common many industries such as mining, construction, manufacturing, transportation and the public domain. Though it is beneficial to the members in the union, now labor union representation in USA has declined significantly in the private sector over time.
How to form a union
1. It starts with the formation of a bargaining unit, a group represented by a union for dealing with an boss of company or employer.
2. Legal way for employer, try to persuade his employees or workers not to unionize. Illegal way, the employer to prevent employees from unionizing via violence, threat and other bad action as coercive.
3. An employer limited by law to bargain in good faith with a union, Once negotiation between employer and union reached to an agreement, finally a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is signed.
4. Certainly, there is no changing details of the agreement by am employee after a CBA is signed, unless with the union representative’s ratification.
5. As same as other organizations, union costs are paid by members dues, cost around $50 per month. Meanwhile, unions have to pay staff to manage their operations and staff’ salary is from union dues. Sometimes members also often volunteer.
In meantime, Labor unions may protect workers rights as well in specific industries. A union works like a democracy holding elections to select and assign the eligible officers. No matter what you do for a living, there always is a union with members who do the same thing. Unions represent as below,
2. office workers,
3. factory workers,
8. police officers,
9. construction workers,
11. airline pilots,
14. government workers at all levels,
15. IT/computer professionals,
and many more types of workers. The union officers are charged with the duty of making decisions beneficial for union participants. About structure of the union, it is as a locally-based group of employees who obtain a charter from the national level institution. Certainly, all employees in specific union pay to the national union, as in return, the labor union representing every members acts as an advocate on the every employees’ behalf. In fact, the benefits of unions are every employees’ benefits.
What are the benefits of Unions?
1. Collective bargaining
Collective negotiation is the the core and soul of labor union. It often is happened because the workforce at a company, bands and unite together to increase its negotiating power. For example, a single worker may feel that a certain new safety measure should be executed in the factory, but he has no power to require the company to install the new measures. If the entire workforce is aware of the need for new measure, and unite together to pressure their company to install it, so there is a greater chance that the company think about to comply.
2. Workplace Safety
The employers may invest more in training or equipment which improves workplace morale and foster productivity if labor costs are more. The antagonism between business and organized labors is not inevitable but when the employees are considered disposable, at that time business will be less interested in protecting these employees. Certainly, if there is no union representation, the employees also may lack someone to intervene on their behalf with management on safety problems.